Reduce content
Preview image of the work
Adoration of the Shepherds with the Saints Quirico and Giulitta

Town Museum "Ala Ponzone"

Room of the 16th Century

Andrea Scutellari (1574 - 1588)

late 16th century


Till the year 1785, the artwork has been recorded in the Church Santi Quirico and Giulitta in Cremona, attached to the monastery of the Benedictine nuns. When the nunnery was demolished, the painting was lost but then, in 1980, it was donated to the Pictures’ Gallery by Antonio Boschetto. The artwork could date back to the period when Scutellari worked with Bernardino Campi, in a sort of training path. This context could explain the new interpretation of Correggio’s models, followed by the unusual opening to the Tuscany mannerism, in particular for the use of the colors.mme cromatiche utilizzate.

visit the other rooms of the museum